- Chief Information Security Officer
- Rapid Change and Program Redevelopment
- Governance, Risk Management and Compliance
- Executive Briefings, and Training
- Enterprise & Security Architecture
- Program & Project Management
- Industry Expertise and Leadership
South Bend, Indiana USA
01/2017 to present
Consulting Practice: A boutique information technology and cyber security consulting firm offering enterprise-level strategy and implementation services for small and medium businesses. Consulting services include pragmatic and understandable cyber security strategy and operational capabilities and Incident Response Training for Executives and Incident Responders.
- Implement CyberSecurity strategy and operational projects for mid/large enterprise customers.
- Assess and manage CyberSecurity risks; develop post-audit strategy and tactics; develop performance metrics.
- Implement Risk Management programs, GRC tools, policies, procedures, and run books to improve operational maturity. Bring focus to the larger picture, implement and improve on the basics, and drive organizational capability.
New York University
New York, New York USA
01/2021 to 10/2021
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) / Director of Detection, Response, and Forensics Teams
NYU is a top global research university with an annual academic and research revenue of $3.7bn. As director of the Detection, Response, and Forensics department, I led global efforts to implement and manage a Security Operations Center (SOC) and managed internal, matrix, and multi-national teams to implement security services for 13 global sites.
- Rebuilt SOC detection and response capabilities by rearchitecting the Splunk SIEM and implementing PaloAlto Cortex SIEM.
- Deployed PaloAlto Cortex XDR (Extended Detection and Response) capability across 13 countries.
- Rearchitected the network into a ‘Open Campus’ and protected networks using Micro-Segmentation and ZTNA concepts.
- Prepared the organization for IT Outsourcing by standardizing operational procedures, negotiating contracts and performing risk assessments.
- Developed Incident Response Procedures and led multiple Incident Response Activities. Trained leadership on risk and response.
- Conducted listening tours to understand stakeholder needs and adapt the program to the culture of the organization.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Lincoln Laboratory
Lexington, Massachusetts USA
11/2018 to 10/2020
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) / Cyber Security Sector Manager
MIT Lincoln Labs is a Federally Funded, Research and Development Center with an annual research revenue of $1bn. As the team leader for cyber security operations within the Information Technology division, my responsibilities included the development, implementation, and operation of all cyber security operations within DoD classified and unclassified environments. This role extended into protecting unique and threat adverse environments under a high degree of external interest and sensitivity and potential security threats.
- Developed, managed, and operated DoD classified and unclassified security operations centers (SOC) in compliance with CMMC, FISMA, NIST Risk Management Framework, NIST SP800-53, and NIST SP800-171 standards.
- Implemented ACAS and related vulnerability management technologies for the support of DoD classified systems.
- Partnered with researchers to leverage the unique skills of the lab to detect and deter cyber security threats using ahead-of-market insights and technologies.
- Built collaborative, strategic relationships with stakeholders within the lab to advance the cyber security capability and culture.
- Analyzed SOC tooling and procedures allowing a reduction of duplicate capabilities and provided normalized operating procedures which were then automated through a Security Orchestration Automation and Response (SOAR) platform.
- Created and monitored performance analytics to measure effectiveness.
- Developed MITRE ATT&CK and CMMC Performance Metrics to improve SOC capabilities.
Waterloo Ontario Canada
09/2016 to 09/2018
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) / Principal Security Strategist
A Managed Detection and Response (MDR) company, my primary role was as a consultant and virtual CISO to clients in the FinTech and Legal industries who were procuring security services from the team.
- Performed comprehensive risk assessments and business impact analysis with remediations.
- Partnered with clients to define their risk and map out long-term strategies for their operations.
- Created MDR offerings portfolio while supporting sales and marketing. Managed pricing and profitability of the portfolio.
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise (Electronic Data Systems – EDS)
Plano, Texas USA
05/2003 to 05/2016
Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) / Enterprise Architect
- Team leader to implement security services for the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI) program with 400,000 users and 1m+ assets globally. Functioned in DoD classified and unclassified environments.
- Developed and implemented team-based, DHS Continuous Diagnostics and Monitoring (CDM) program winning a position on a $6bn contract.
- Team leader to develop and pitch FedRAMP cloud solution offerings to the US Government.
- Provided services as a Virtual Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) to commercial clients.
- Served as a HIPAA Compliance Officer and Lead Security Architect for CMS-focused software development efforts.
- Managed complex projects requiring strong analytical skills and creative cultural adaptation with government clients.
San Diego, California USA
10/1999 to 05/2003
Consultant / Engineer
- Provided deep technical diagnostics for kernel debugging and active directory operations.
- Consulted with and helped clients implement key Microsoft technologies.
- Performed sales, marketing, and consulting activities while embedded with clients.
Boston, Massachusetts USA
01/1998 to 10/1999
Manager, Information Technology
Managed a team responsible for all aspects of networking, server, and desktop support for a community healthcare provider.
New England Medical Center / Tufts
Boston, Massachusetts USA
01/1996 to 01/1998
Managed networking and server technologies for a regional healthcare provider.
St. Mary’s Health Services / Mercy Health Systems
Grand Rapids, Michigan USA
01/1992 to 01/1996
Managed networking and server technologies for a community healthcare provider.
Data Link Systems
South Bend, Indiana USA
01/1990 to 01/1992
Managed the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) and go-to-market (GTM) operations for a software development company.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The University of Texas at Dallas, Graduated 2011
Master of Science (MS)
Information Technology specializing in Security
Capella University, Graduated 2008
Bachelor of Science (BS)
Computer Information Systems
Excelsior College, Graduated 2006
(ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) #29867
ISACA Certified Information Security Manager (CISM) #1014442
ISACA Certified in Risk and Information Systems Controls (CRISC) #1004569
Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) #1793697
Microsoft Certified Information Technology Professional (MCITP) #1793697
Amazon Web Services Certified Cloud Practitioner (CCP) #01783372
DoD 8570 IAT 3, IAM 3, IASE 2, CSSP Manager
Honors & Volunteer Activities
Mensa International High IQ Society
Security Special Interest Group Coordinator
US Department of Defense
US Department of Homeland Security
1290 E. Ireland Road V100-249
South Bend, IN 46614 USA
+1 571 833 3000